Twitter's decentralization play
I'll repeat what I tweeted about it: the hilarious thing is that they could take their budget for this initiative, slash it by 90%, distribute the remaining 10% to like 2 dozen Patreons, and thereby do approximately 1000% more to create a viable decentralized social media standard and implementations.
I'm extremely pleased to launch Run Your Own Social: How to run a small social network site for you friends.
This is a guide book to running a small, tight-knit federated social network server. It comes from my year of experience running Friend Camp. It's focused largely on SOCIAL solutions, though it does touch on the technical.
I've tried to keep it technology-neutral, and it should be a pretty easy read for anyone who's been on the fediverse for a while.
Join us for a special @IndieWebSummit edition of Dat Night around 6PM on Saturday, June 29th @rumors_studio! There will be lightning talks, time to make things, snacks to eat, and new friends! Tickets & info at http://datnight.org ✨
I gave a short (15 min) talk at CSVConf last month about federated social media, trust, and how we can better define community boundaries. In particular, I discuss the importance of local-only content that never federates, and the ability to tag other servers as "trusted" and federate things only to those servers. That last idea is something I call "neighborhoods".
Non-youtube direct mp4 here: https://tinysubversions.com/talks/csv-conf-2019/video.mp4
an indoor cat who got outside
Hometown is adapted from Mastodon, a decentralized social network with no ads, no corporate surveillance, and ethical design.